This overview course explores the WHY, WHAT, WHO and HOW of 3D implementation in product development. Learners will explore the reasons for adopting 3D and how to build their own business case. They will establish an appreciation of the technology, get guidance on selecting and working with software partners and identify the steps that need to be taken to implement 3D into BAU processes.
How will you learn?The course is self-paced and includes a pre-assessment and a final test, 6 modules of interactive instruction, Executives’ interviews, case studies by super users and best practice downloadable assets. All participants who successfully complete the course will receive a MOTIF Certificate of Completion. The recommended commitment for the course is a minimum of 1 hour per week over a 5 week period.
What will you learn?By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
1. Identify the reasons for using 3D
2. Assess their Current State of business and map out their Future State
3. Define the scope of a Proof of Concept project
4. Build a framework to select the right 3D software partner
5. Create a structure for 3D implementation
Online course Detailed outline
This pre-assessment has been designed to test your knowledge of 3D concepts and determine how much you already know about the 3D implementation process in the apparel industry.
This course is your practical guide for evaluating 3D fundamentals and initiating successful implementation.
No matter where you are on your 3D journey, you’ll learn to transform your business by saving time, enhancing customer and executive satisfaction, and ultimately increase your return on investment.
- 1. Welcome to the Course
- 2. 3D Fundamentals
- 3. 3D in the Apparel Industry
- 4. Apparel Industry Hesitancies
- 5. End of Introduction Assessment
Be prepared for the transition by knowing your reasons for using 3D. After this module, you will be able to identify your reason(s) for using 3D by defining the internal problems that needs to be solved.
- 1.1 The Problem You’re Trying To Solve
- 1.2 Your Current State
- 1.3 End of Module Assessment
This module will cover what you need to know about your business, what your potential return on investment may look like, and what you should consider when working with internal and external teams while moving forward with 3D. You will be able to identify and assess the Current State of your foundations.
- 2.1 Preparing for Your Future State
- 2.2 Core Body Profile
- 2.3 Fit Blocks
- 2.4 Material Library
- 2.5 Supplier Onboarding
- 2.6 Return on Investment
- 2.7 Infrastructure
- 2.8 Timeline
- 2.9 Your People
- 2.10 End of Module Assessment
You’ll learn to build a project team and scope out the desired Future State. After taking this module, you will be able to:
- Identify the key people that should be on your 3D team
- Develop the 3D software assessment criteria that supports strategic goals
- Build a framework for the 3D vendor meetings including the checklist for vetting potential partners
- Assess each 3D software partner’s offering and move on to the Proof of Concept project with the best ones
- 3.1 Building Your Internal Team
- 3.2 Which 3D Software?
- 3.3 Vetting Software Partners
- 3.4 Selecting Your Software Partners
- 3.5 End of Module Assessment
At this stage of the game, you are ready to define the scope of your Proof of Concept. In this module, you’ll transition your Future State ideas into goals and actions and navigate the Proof of Concept project. After this module, you will be able to:
- Define the scope of the Proof of Concept project with project team members
- Transition the Future State process map into goals and actions during the Proof of Concept phase
- 4.1 Finalising the Scope of the POC
- 4.2 Kick Starting Your POC
- 4.3 POC Case Study
- 4.4 End of Module Assessment
This module will break the implementation process down into three distinct areas – Process, Approach, and People. After this module, you will be able to:
- Identify and address key impacts to the current process
- Recognise and develop methods to manage multiple approaches
- Analyse roles and responsibilities in the new process and recommend training for current staff and hiring guidelines for future employees
- 5.1 Implementation: What’s Your Strategy?
- 5.2 Implementation: What’s Your Approach?
- 5.3 Implementation: Who’s Involved?
- 5.4 End of Module Assessment
Li & Fung, a leading apparel supply chain management company, has successfully implemented the transition to 3D in their work with many brands across the industry. In this final module, we’ll hear from their team about their 3D experience, providing a recap of each module in this course.
- 6.1 The 3D Landscape
- 6.2 Where Are You Now?
- 6.3 Preparing for Your Future State
- 6.4 Software Partner Selection Process
- 6.5 Kickstarting Your Approach
- 6.6 Implementation
- 6.7 Your Future
- 6.8 Final Exam
- 6.9 End of Course Survey
Hear it from our customers!
A decade of experience in fit engineering and product development at an executive level within Columbia. Eryn managed the transformation of fit processes and implemented 3D into BAU.