The Technical Skills Builder: Blocks Overview and Hands-on 2D to 3D Pattern Skill-Builder is a hands-on one-and-a-half day Professional Development Workshop working with blocks in both 2D patterns and 3D visualization.
A typical Alvanon workshop will:
• Provide Alvanon insight into the best practices on tactical topics.
• Give participants an opportunity to share their specific challenges.
• Allow time to network with peers in a neutral peer-to-peer setting.
You will explore the following content, along with practical, hands-on activities in each session:
• Block Definition and How They Are Used as a Technical Tool.
• Difference Between a Block and a Style Pattern.
• Best Methods for Block Libraries & Patterns Transitioning into 3D.
• What are the Differences in How a Block is Used in 2D CAD and Visualized in 3D?
• Concepts of adding styling details, for example: Dart manipulation – Why? How to pivot a dart, Where to distribute the pivoted fullness to best achieve the style?
• Spec Measurements – How Many Measurements is Enough/Too Much? Why?
Exercises will include turning a block into a style, in 2D, CAD, and visualized in 3D, for both a basic top and pant.
Wednesday Afternoon Session
February 5, 1:30pm
- Snacks and happy hour will follow the conclusion of this session.
Thursday Morning Session
February 6, 9:00am
- Breakfast will be provided before and during this morning session
Thursday Afternoon Session
February 6, 1:30pm
Once the morning session concludes, we will break for lunch before this afternoon session.
About the Consultants
Tracy Rickert – Senior Consultant
For 20+ years Tracy has led teams in apparel retail, design, engineering, and sourcing. At Alvanon, she works with global clients to improve the fit of apparel and improve efficiencies and profitability in product development. Tracy held a variety of management positions at Target Corporation; in Fabric Engineering, Technical Design, Global Fit Standards, and Product Development.
Christina Onusko – Director, Blocks & Grading
Christina “Chris” Onusko has over 25 years’ experience in design, pattern drafting, draping, garment construction and grading. She joined Alvanon in 2008 where she shares and applies her extensive expertise in technical design, manufacturing and product development. She helps clients establish standards and tools for optimizing garment fit and provides training to apparel brands on a global level.
Hayley Berres – Senior Technical Engineer
Hayley is an experienced Senior Technical Engineer with over 20 years of experience of working in the apparel and fashion industry. She is skilled in 2D & 3D CAD Design and Pattern making, Pattern Grading, Marker making, Draping, Product Life Cycle management and more. She is a graduate of Cape Peninsula University of Technology where she studied Fashion Design and Garment Engineering.
About the Organiser
Alvanon is a global innovations company shaping the future of fit. When Alvanon was founded in 2001, it was focused on solving the sizing and fit challenges inherent in the apparel industry. It has since evolved into a global company, shaping the future of fit through modern technology and an innovative data-driven approach.
Today, Alvanon operates as advisor to many of the world’s leading apparel organizations – helping them improve their fit for and engage more intimately with the modern-day consumer.
This is a hands-on workshop – bring your pattern tools – clear rulers, hip curves …etc.
Alvanon will supply: pencils, erasers, tape measures and soft paper, garment specs, Alvanon Standard Blocks for bodice and pants with corresponding Alvanon Standard fit form, and Browzwear 3D software used for technical demonstration.
Blocks utilized in this seminar will be provided as digital support material.
Food will be provided: small plates and snacks during and a happy hour following the afternoon session on Day 1, and a breakfast and lunch during the full session on
You can also attend this Technical Skills Builder Workshop in Minneapolis, April 15, 2020!